Friday, November 7, 2008

An impractical idea

Here's a suggestion for those who are starting their holiday lists: Buy Local.

And I'm not talking produce here. I'm talking art, theater, crafts and music.

I have become very well acquainted with a group of artists who put their hearts into their works. All they've learned. All they feel. All they want to express.

But their creation isn't really finished until somebody loves it enough to make an investment in it and take it home to love some more.

I've sat with these artists at festivals in the park, and smiled with them, at those who pass by on their way to the food booths next door.

We always need more food. But art?

I've sat in a gallery filled with art of every style and price, watching people rush past to the post office or the hair dresser or the bank.

There are needs more immediate than art. But are they of more value?


I found myself drawn to the little artisan shops when souvenir hunting in Greece. From a weaver I bought some bookmarks for my sons, from a potter I bought some little Grecian jugs for the family, from a crafter I bought some charming bracelets for my daughters. From the artist whose gorgeous pieces were selling for thousands of euros, I bought... a postcard. While my two euros wouldn't put food on her table -- nor would the money from the small items I purchased from the other artisans -- it would let her -- and them -- know their work was admired.


Throughout history musicians and artists have struggled. Without patrons they would have to leave their craft for more practical employment. Yet in many cases, their work has lived long past their difficult lives and delighted and enriched more people than they could possibly have imagined.

So this holiday season, if you can, consider skipping the Wal-Mart, the movie theater, the CD store for your gifts or gift cards. Consider art from a gallery or tickets to a local theater or items from a neighborhood craftstore.

You'll be feeding more than one soul.



No comments: