Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Torn

Sometimes it happens that there are two things you want to do and they're at the same time. And sometimes there might be a day here or there in the week when there is nothing you have to do, so it seems all the more unjust that on another day just before that day that is blank on your calendar, there are two things and they are both good things and you would very much like to do them both but it is impossible because they are in different places at the same time.

Not one to give up easily, I usually try to go to one for a time and keep a close eye on my watch and then sneak out when nobody appears to be looking and head directly for the other one, where I sneak in hoping nobody noticed I was late and try to catch up to where I would have been if I'd started out there like the others did.

But I end up missing something -- or more honestly -- somethings.

Sometimes the choice is between a meeting for a committee I'm on and a meeting for a group I head or sometimes the choice is between letting down people who'd hoped I'd attend their activity and letting down my husband who hoped someone would attend the football game with him. Sometimes the choice is between a trip and a responsibility and no matter what I choose I will feel bad about the thing that got left out and wish that that time-turner gadget Hermione used when she was overachieving was available to the common (wo)man who also likes to overachieve now and then.

So...I am happy for the days when there is one thing and one thing only at a time on my calendar and I am happy for the times I can fit two things in one evening without shortchanging either one and I am happy for the times when I chose one thing over another and knew it was the right decision and made up my mind not to let my mind feel guilty about not being everywhere all the time.

This is my attempt to write less short and snappy. What do you all think of long and whiny? And no, there is not a photograph to go with this entry.

1 comment:

jackie said...

i like long. and i think you should just do what you want to.