Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Answering a call for artists

When they said the theme for next year's exhibits is "Views from abroad as seen from the traveling artist," I knew I had to apply.

That's what I most love to do. Travel and view abroad. And being a photographer is kinda like being an artist -- at least they could decide if I was or not.

So I applied to Bountiful/Davis Art Center's exhibit program.
Along with pictures of my work, an artist's statement was required.
Here's the latest edit of my statement:


Travel is education -- how they build cathedrals in France, how they deal with water in Belgium.

As I've traveled, I've learned -- what they eat for dinner in Japan, what they sell on street corners in Italy.

And I've photographed -- when the tulips bloom in Paris, where the laundry is hung in Venice.

Much of what I've learned of photography has been through "field work." Being there, taking those pictures, seeing what works and what doesn't.

Much of what I share is in hopes of introducing others to the beauties that fill our world -- sometimes as large and encompassing as a city view along the Mediterranean, sometimes as small as a doorknob or a light fixture along a quiet street in a quiet village of Provence.

I am blessed to have seen such incredible sights.
I hope to share them with others, to inspire and delight.


I got accepted. And you're all invited to the exhibit -- it's in January. Details forthcoming...

No comments: