Thursday, August 15, 2013

Never bored

OK so I rode an elephant last night. It's just one of the things you get to do when you're running around town reporting on things like elephants. And last week I got to shoot a .22 at targets and did so well with my first rounds that the guy next to me said I would qualify to pass the hunter safety test but not to worry, I'll never in a million billion years be a hunter but it just goes to show how much fun you can have in the right job.

Also this past month, I've talked with people from Taiwan who asked me as many questions as I asked them (and videotaped my answers), men from Finland and Chile and teens with limited sight. I've talked to people who've lost family to cancer and people whose loved ones are fighting it. I talked with people who were taking needy kids shopping and the parents of needy kids who were being taken shopping. I've talked with mayors and city managers, cyclists and immigrants from Peru.

I've asked questions of dieticians and people posing as mountain men and children going back to school already because of the year-round schedule necessary for crowded schools, plus the parents who accompanied them on their first day back and the teachers who welcomed them.

Did I say I got to shoot pictures of Huey Lewis in concert close up? And parades? And street dances? And a demolition derby?

Yes, there is pressure. But would you believe I'm never bored? 

No comments: