Saturday, January 2, 2010

Gifts

One of the great gifts in life is people.

They don't come brightly wrapped in packages with ribbons and bows, but they are gifts just the same. And when one takes time to get to know what's inside the packaging they do come in, life becomes richer in many ways.

This Christmas included time with people who are interesting and funny and who are leading lives of worth. It also included correspondence from people I haven't seen in ages but still admire and still want to learn about.

Each person is a book. Each brings experiences I'll never have, but can learn from through the things they share. Each conversation is like reading another chapter and brings a new way of seeing into my life, making it richer and fuller.

All my love to all who have shared a part of themselves this Christmas. To the friend I first met in 1980 who took the time to e-mail, to the former neighbor who shared her husband's frightening diagnosis, to the ones who traveled in difficult circumstances to get here -- love and thanks for who you are and what you share. You are my gifts.

No comments: