Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Does anyone else find it odd...

...that it took $5.7 billion-with-a-B to support volunteerism in America?

It was hailed as a bipartisan success because both senators Edward Kennedy and Orrin Hatch supported it. And then President Obama signed it.

And while I can understand the need to give banks money to keep the financial system from collapsing and I can hope that the money given car makers will keep car dealers and car-part makers in jobs, and while I am willing to allow that money given to first-time home buyers and old-clunky car drivers might help things along in the flailing economy, this is one I don't get.

It seems to me, if I understand the definition correctly, and I think I do because it pretty much describes a major part of the last 28 years of my life, that a program to support volunteerism should cost ... $0.0 billion.

Or at least -- even with government supervision -- $5.7 million-with-an-M.

No comments: