Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Latest studies

I can't remember if I read it in TIME or the DesNews or on-line or Atlantic Monthly or Family Circle or, yes, AARP magazine. But I'm not worried about not remembering where I read it anymore. Because what I read was pretty much that forgetting things is all in your mind. Yes.

There was this scientific study where they divided old people -- the youngest of whom were actually as old as me -- into two groups and gave them tests. The first group was told that this was a test of how good or bad their memory was. The second group was the placebo group -- they were told the test was about a subject that had nothing to do with memory but that I can't remember now but I'm not worried about not remembering it anymore.

So, the group that was told they were having their memory tested scored worse -- probably because they were so sure they were old and had a bad memory. You may need to read this through a few times before it makes sense.

But the study made sense to me. When you forget a word or a name, you are so busy thinking, "I forgot that word or name because I am now old and old people forget words and names and it probably means I have early-onset Alzheimers and pretty soon I won't remember my kids names because I've already forgotten their birthweights and I'll likely be in a home soon and people will come to visit me and then tell their friends funny stories about all the silly things I said when I couldn't remember who they were or what they were talking about."

And with your mind going in that direction and beyond, it's no wonder you can't remember the word you were working to remember. You probably can't even remember why you wanted to remember that word.

I've tried to adjust to this logical scientific finding. When I can't think of a word, I now try to focus on the word rather than my future in a nursing home. And sometimes then, I even remember the word.

I love it when studies tell you something you want believe but didn't dare hope. They've even come up with one that says chocolate is good for you. Yea for science.

1 comment:

jackie said...

it's ok, i don't remember my birth weight either.