Thursday, March 12, 2009

A letter

Their research was extensive, as always. The TIME reporters had lots of facts and lots of expert opinions and drew lots of conclusions and postulated lots of theories.

But they missed a rather large point. A point I attempted to point out to them in one of my annual concisely-written letters to the editor, any editor.

Unfortunately, I was a week behind on my magazine reading/study so the letter got there too late for publication, which I'm sure would have happened because editors always choose my concisely-written letters to publish and have through time.

So as not to waste another written work and a thought that is crying out to be shared, I include it here. I'm quite sure the readership of my blog does not match the readership of TIME, but you all are the only audience left to me. I'll take you.

First, the background:
The article on "How faith can heal" debated whether religion should be added to science in the healing process. There seemed to be some proof that people of faith do live longer and heal faster and that perhaps religion has some giant placebo effect. Studies suggest that being a believer has a medical benefit and fasting and being charitable are healthy and that thinking you're being prayed for makes a huge difference in your recovery.

"Here's what's surprising: a growing body of scientific evidence suggests that faith may indeed bring us health..." said the article by Jeffrey Kluger.

Now, the letter:
"To the editors:

"Your articles on health and spirituality (February 23, 2009) failed to consider a point that seems most obvious to those of us who have faith in a supreme being.

"While it may be impossible to analyze, it should be considered: Does God, in fact, answer prayers? Does God bless those who pray sincerely and serve generously and fast humbly with improved health or longer life or greater peace?

"My vast but scientifically undocumented experiences have proven to me that He does."


It's me again. And I know that all prayers are not answered in the way we want them to be answered. And I know that good people get sick and good parents have sick children. But I don't think our scientists and reporters should go around saying that when we do get better or live longer it's because of belief alone. They're forgetting the goodness and grace of the One to whom we pray.

No comments: