Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Perfect sense

It occurred to me about halfway through the article on perfectionists that I might be one.

When I suggested it to the family members reading other sections of the newspaper around the breakfast table, they laughed.

Because they already knew.


How embarrassing.
How distressing.
How enlightening.


I might argue in my defense, and in defense of all others out there who I happen to know are also perfectionists because they're mothers, that good can come of perfection.

A perfect dinner that everybody loves, a perfect outing where all the items on your list are actually found and some are even on sale, a perfect moment when everybody's happy and everything's going as planned, a perfect feeling from accomplishment or beauty or peace.
Perfection becomes a problem, according to the article, when things are not perfect and personal failure brings self-criticism. Or when those around you are not perfect and your disappointment affects your relationships.

This makes sense.

So from now on I won't kick myself when I mess up.

And from now on I won't kick against life when things or people around me mess up.
Because perfectionists have stress that causes immune problems according to the article.
I will be perfect in not expecting perfection in me or anyone else.

And if I mess up...
...there I go again.



Perfect recent moments:











And a perfect quote from Sam Keen that solves all our problems: "We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly."

No comments: