Sunday, March 1, 2009

Convention

OK, I'm as big a fan of Jane Austen novels as the next guy -- ahem, I mean, -- gal, but I've gotta admit there were times during my most recent reading of Persuasion when I wanted to slap somebody.

You'll remember the plot: After eight years, the protagonist crosses paths with the man she was once engaged to and THEY DON'T SAY ANYTHING TO EACH OTHER.

Wouldn't you just, kind of, look for an opportunity to be in a quiet corner out of earshot of others and say, as if to an old friend or something: So, how've ya been these last EIGHT YEARS?

But no. It takes 200-some pages, depending on the edition, for any kind of a conversation.

So that makes for the excitement -- the page-turning -- the suspense: When will they TALK? When will they admit to their feelings for each other? When will the other people get out of the way so they can take it from where it once was to where it should be?

It also makes for the frustration.

Those Brits in that era were downright... what's the word... stiff!!

And then I calm down and think of a few relationships in my life. Really close relationships in fact, where I wish I could just sit down and ask questions and get answers and go from there.

Is it convention, is it trust, is it nerve?

Or are we just as stiff as the next guy -- or do I mean... gal?

1 comment:

Louise said...

Truth is less stiff than fiction if the movie "The Duchess" is any indication. We are talking British scandals on every side. After having recently viewed that based-on-a-true-story story, I'd have to say my views on English relationships have been greatly altered. Maybe Austen was using her imagination in more ways than one.