Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Books and Authors

So, I was wandering around Barnes & Noble yesterday and there were just books EVERYWHERE! No matter where you turned, you saw books. Books on history, books on humor, books on mysteries, books on museums, books on famous people, books on beautiful places.

But there was a book or two missing.

Yes, the ones my sister had recommended -- which meant I dared to read them -- were not there so I ordered the one they could at least find on their computer even if it wasn't on their shelves.

And yes, you were wondering, the books I have written were not there.

That is not Barnes & Nobles' fault. It is my fault. Because I'm not famous and didn't have a publisher to do promotions and couldn't get Oprah's attention and failed at convincing people they needed to read my books -- or for that matter convincing people that I was alive and needed attention at all.

That doesn't mean I have failed.

Because last night I attended a book club that was reviewing my newest book (thanks to a near relative) and they liked the part that talked about how middle-school kids can tell if you like them and the part that tells about what you learn about people through their writing and they think that teachers should get this book and that parents would benefit too and they thought I should go to teacher conventions and do signings at Costco and in general do something besides keep my books safely tucked in boxes in my basement.

And in between and throughout, we talked about making the world a better place collectively for teachers and individually for kids.

And then one woman told me after that the stories made her laugh. And then she told me things about her life that would make anyone cry.

So just because Barnes & Noble doesn't have my book doesn't mean it's not a good book. Nor does it mean I have failed, though it probably means I only went half way -- I published my memoir but I didn't publicize it.

Maybe I'm not making the world a better place like Madeleine Albright or Alexander McCall Smith. But maybe I'm giving a few people a few things to think about. And maybe even laugh about.

It's a start.

No comments: